Tuesday, July 14, 2009

First day in Turkey

After 10,000 miles and a ridiculous amount of bus/train/plane/dolmus rides, I have made it to Istanbul!! It's really late here (about 1:30 am) but I figured I would write to cover the days events and let everyone know I'm okay.

What an amazing city. The magical quality of Istanbul is difficult to put into words...and is hardly done justice through a photo (even though I will be posting some in the next few days!) From my first view of Bosphorus, to my drive through the city's colorful hills and winding streets, to my first Efes beer on the rooftop of a Taksim cafe, Istanbul has been a wonderful host. Several Istanbul'ers have even welcomed me into their homes for this first week--graciously giving me a first look at the city through their own native lens.

I got to chat over a long dinner with my first host, Cenk, but haven't seen any of the "sites" just yet (even though the one from my plane window was pretty good : )) With everyone in class tomorrow I'll be able to see some more of Istanbul. Not sure what's on deck, but it's sure to be as good as these first few hours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment