Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gokpinar Village




Oh where to begin!?.....

I decided on a whim to come to Gokpinar (SW Turkey) just last night, boarded a bus, and arrived this morning!! I had heard about this traditional Turkish cooking school that is run by a mother and son....for dirt cheap. They teach Mediterranean style Aegean cooking as well as spicer versions of Turkish cuisine from the Black Sea and Eastern Regions.

Gokpinar is a small traditional Turkish village of 100 people that was established by nomadic Turks some two hundred years ago. The house where I stay (and cook!) is atop a hill overlooking the village here most of the residents are either goat herders, farmers, musicians, or beekeepers. The guy who owns the house use to be a tour guide in Bodrum but realized that any visitor of Turkey wanting a true cultural experience had no place to go. So he bought and fixed up the place, planted a vegetable garden, and brought his mother to teach some really really delicious and authentic Turkish cooking.

The mother doesn't speak English, but there is a sweet girl about my age who translates while we are cooking. She also constantly quotes Rumi, which is nice.

Today we made homemade sundried tomatoes, green beans with olive oil and peppers, Parslane salad with yogurt, and bulgar pilav (bulgar wheat pilaf). We picked all the vegetables from the garen ourselves! Tomorrow morning: traditional Turkish breakfast, manti (my favorite!!!) and homemade bread. At some point we'll be making bakalava from scratch....mmmmmmmm. I'm writing down all the recipes and paying close attention so maybe I can carry all of these foods with me with I return!

I realized that cooking and picking vegetables makes me just about as happy as anything : )

There is also an AMAZING view of the night sky. I haven't seen starts this clear since I left West Texas....

Also, I get to attend a wedding that is taking place in the village on Sunday, which is great because I'll get to see an authentic wedding ceremony and celebration!! We'll be helping with the food preparation before.

This has by far been my best experience here yet.....

You can see more photos on my Facebook page!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so cool!!! Can't wait to have you back so we can try all this awesome food!!! You need to make a movie. All this sounds too fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a delight!!! Take more pics..I want to see the people there. I like pics of the food but I want more pics if you can. (I was wondering how you spelled that dessert!!)

    ReplyDelete